Friday, November 19, 2010

My Privelege ain't Like Yours!

It's ironic(?) to me that there's this assumption of privilege associated with my being in Grad school. I'm not privileged in the economic sense, I will be hopefully.

I am privileged because I have the social-support to have gotten me where I am. But this assumption of privilege that people talk about when I'm in classes "makes me wanna holla!": I am not like you! I actually have a sense of what's going on at the low part if the social strata, not because I read about it or because I was lectured on it, but because I've lived it! My education only has allowed me to add language, to put a a name on my experiences, within and with out my community. It burns me up to hear, "Oh, we just don't know because of our privilege"...oh, I know and will never forget because I live it.

This does not discount the cushion that I know I've had in other areas such as social and familial support or the resulting opportunities. But then I question (which if by a white person would be called 'white guilt') why it's a "privilege" for me to have had what one should have to be remotely successful: supportive family and friendships.

My qualm at hand is don't assume I'm like you because I am where you are! I respect and recognize that we all have struggle, but mine ain't like yours! This privilege you speak of is economic, and I have not had that. I've learned that poverty is subjective; I know we didn't have a lot of money but luckily I didn't feel it. My family was a little closer to the threshold than below the poverty-line, but we were NOT advantaged. Them foodstamps kept me full, Medicaid kept me healthy and those fee-waivers helped me complete my college applications.

I am privileged because of my hard work or/and the affirmative action that probably helped get me here (s/o to PHEAA and other state grant programs). So I am privileged because I learned and was assisted in utilizing a system that is under-utilized and misunderstood by my folk!

0 comments:

Post a Comment