Thursday, August 11, 2011

Dub-C on a MISSION...

I got to return to Paradise this week and as I expected, it was better than I left it. Trouble is there were some people there not simply welcoming some underprivileged children and youth to a moment Paradise, but attempting to coerce them into a lifetime in the Kingdom of God, by way of the privileged (and obviously more moral) white people.

I know how that sounds...


But when you sit through a few days of missionary work, clothed as "giving back" than you too could make this declaration, or not. And I am not and will not use this post to defend or explain my personal religious feelings. And I also don't want to spend time saying that I know what they were attempting to do was in good intention, but so was Tuskegee Experiment (I know, dramatic right?)

The combination of unintentional racism via insensitivity and offensiveness and forcing "white-style" religion down the throat of mostly black children and youth was enough to have me enduring serious WPF just three days in.

My gut is ALWAYS right. I knew something was up when the ratios were practically 1:1. And when I walked into the dining hall and saw ALL white people, not one colored soul. And when I learned that not only were the counselors high school students, both upper AND lower classmen (even a middle schooler) I knew.

It was jokingly (and unfairingly -I make up my own words) said that I'd be running scared back to my life from the kids from Chester, when really I was thinking about running away from the teens and adults from West Chester.

Now I'll attempt to share snippets of my experience in the most concise and descriptive way...

Actually this post wasn't supposed to be about specific details of my experience, but the oft over-looked contrast between "giving back" and "doing what's right" ...maybe I'll save that for another post

Upon arrival I realized that I'd be volunteering for a faith-based organization "Cool, I believe in God. No biggie." The apprehension set in, but I proceeded to be optimistic. It wasn't bad like they had the children in devotion for large pockets out of their day in the hot sun, then again it's sometimes not what you do, but how you do. 

I'll just fast forward to the final hours at camp. 

Final camp fire Speaker: "Repeat after me,"  "...and I accept Jesus as my Lord and Savior." Did he just bring over 100 children into the Glory of God without as much as asking or ensuring they understand? Did he just "convert" these children without consulting with their parents? Did he just ASSUME that they did not already believe in God or accept Jesus as their savior BECAUSE they are from Chester, Pa?!?! I was floored! Had this been a muslim Imam than all hell (no pun intended) would have broke loose if he TRICKED these children into taking their Shahadahs. Oh, yeah he was black.

Counselor Awards Ceremony "And when the little girl scraped off her black skin, and ran saying 'now I have a white lip!!!!'..." I couldn't help but double over in laughter!!! How's that for double-layered funnies. 

I know by this post you really don't get it. I realize that I am not clear and have left open many opportunities for one to question my perceptions. Maybe I'll try again when the disdain isn't so fresh. I also am going to attempt to email the Director of the program, again after time calms this small fire.

I actually enjoyed myself overall, as I was in my element with both both the children and in Paradise. Yet, I could have done without the constant cringing and feeling responsible to shield and defend "my" children. 

I will say that what the visiting organization was trying to do (is doing) is good-hearted, but the leadership of the organization needs a serious crash course in diversity, racial sensitivity and cultural competency if they want to be as impactful as they imagine and simply be doing what's right. They also need someone guiding them on program outcomes, etc. To ensure that what they are doing is truly "making a difference". One wouldn't want them to "give back" in vain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment